This blog has been inactive for a dozen years, for the simple fact that I, its creator and primary author, have been writing for New Paltz Times and its successor, Hudson Valley One, covering important meetings and helping residents know what's happening in the community instead of sharing my own opinions.
It's not easy to get anyone to buy a paper these days, and the folks at Ulster Publishing are always looking for more ideas to make their publications more appealing to the paying public. There has long been an idea that covering local meetings isn't very important, and recently my assignments have pulled me away from that beat. I will continue to write for Hudson Valley One, but that doesn't mean I agree with that assessment.
For that reason I am dusting off this blog as a temporary place to provide coverage of stories that are important to those in New Paltz, including the upcoming vote on consolidation. For the moment, this is what to expect:
- I will be applying journalistic standards as best I can, mindful that without an editor it might not be as polished. This means focusing on what others say or write, and facts that can be confirmed, rather than deliberately injecting my own viewpoint.
- Comments will, for now, be open, and welcome. The amount of readers is going to help determine if this experiment continues, and in what form. Comments are one way to help gauge that.
- If there is enough interest, a new site will be launched to cover topics that are not being addressed in Hudson Valley One. It will be designed to complement our local paper, not compete with it.
- A local news site requires time and money, and will only succeed if readers are willing to contribute money. What form that takes will be determined at a later date.
Thank you for your interest.
No comments:
Post a Comment